Hair transplantation in Kolkata can be achieved in a single or multiple sessions although Dr. Adhikari recommends multiple sessions if a large area is to be filled up. Hair transplant sessions and procedure are all variable. Usually, in the first hair transplant session, be it FUT or FUE hair transplant procedure, the frontal hairline is established and the face is framed and all of the bald area from the frontal area to the vertex is covered although not of uniform density. The result would look natural although additional sessions might be recommended to increase density in the transplanted areas. It might however be noted that too dense implantations might result in decreased blood supply to the transplanted hairs thereby leading to a poor outcome.
In the first session the front of the scalp is typically covered, the crown is addressed only if the patient has more than average supply in the donor site. The number of follicles that are required to cover a bald area in the first session is depicted as follows (rough guide):
|Norwood Class||Follicular Units||Total Units with Crown|
Assessing the Result
Transplanted hairs enter into a phase of telogen and thereby shed off 2-6 weeks after the procedure has been performed. Between 10 weeks and moving upward to 6 months or more, new hair starts appearing. Initially, this hair is thin and short but increases in both length and diameter with time. Therefore, the final result is typically appreciated 10-12 months after the procedure has been performed. Additional sessions can then be planned. It might be noted that most patients require at least 2 sessions to achieve optimal density of the transplanted hairs.
Indications for a 2nd session:
1. Big area of baldness.
2. Additional density required for crown area.
3. Progression of hair loss since first transplant.
4. Improper result from first transplant.
- Continue antihypertensive medications on the day of surgery.
- All topical therapy should be discontinued at least 3 days prior to the procedure.
- Potential bleeding agents should be discontinued at least 3 days prior to the surgery like aspirin, Vitamin B, E, alcoholic beverages, coffee.
- Smoking should be discontinued 1 day prior to the procedure and for 2 weeks thereafter.
- Shampoo the hair on the morning of the procedure with a chlorhexidine shampoo.
- You would need to wear clothes that would not be required to be pulled over your head.
- Do not drive home following the procedure.
Hair Transplantation Procedure Step by Step
1. Donor Harvest
The donor area over the back of the scalp is infiltrated with a local anesthetic mixed with adrenaline and a strip of tissue is taken out and is then closed off with sutures.
The strip of tissue is then slivered or sliced into thin strips from which individual follicular units are isolated.
3. Preparation of recipient site
The recipient site is prepared by blocking the nerves that supply the region and then by infiltrating the area with a solution so as to make it tumescent.
4. Making the slits
The slits over the recipient area are then made with 18 gauge needles so as to achieve adequate density. Following this, methylene blue solution is spread over the scalp so as to make the slits more prominent and facilitate implantation of the individual follicles.
The methylene blue solution is then washed off and the follicles individually implanted.
Transplantation of hairs over other areas
Transplantation of hairs over other areas Transplantation is also advocated for the following areas but the cost is higher than conventional hair transplantation: